Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Great Reminder

I had an opportunity today to work a job fair and it served as a reminder to me of a very old, but no-less wise, expression...don't judge others!

What an interesting experience.  From the job perspective, I was able to meet a lot of qualified candidates that may make some nice additions for my clients.  From the, "I love watching people" perspective, I got to see a lot of looks that are so different from mine.

Like a lot of people, I do enjoy watching others.  Watching the way they move, the way they walk, the way they talk and how they interact with others.  Most of all, I get a kick out of noticing on one hand, just how different people look, but on the other hand, coming to the realization that most people really do want the same thing. 

I'd like to focus on some of the different looks.  To paint a visual for you, I saw some really tall people and some short ones.  I saw some young ones and a lot of older ones.  I saw people with a smile that would make any dentist proud and others that, well, let's just say that it doesn't take them very long to brush their tooth in the morning.  Others had some really nice haircuts, while the term "bedhead" for others, is being too kind.  Fat and skinny, well-groomed and sloppily dressed, pretty much cover the gamut of the different types of looks that presented themselves to me. 

Here's the thing though, despite the many differences in how they all looked, they were all the same.  They were all people interested in improving themselves, trying to improve on their life and the way they live it.  They were like you and I, yet probably look nothing like you and I.

The reasons I point this out are two-fold:  1. to remind you, though hopefully not needed, of how you must not judge people based on their appearance; and 2. to definitely remind me, to not judge people based on their appearance.

Make it a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment